London Women’s Care
803 Meyers Baker Rd.
London, KY 40741
Supplements To Discontinue During the Peri-Operative Period 2 Weeks prior to Surgery
Although many of the nutritional supplements may be beneficial when used appropriately, their use around the time of surgery may increase risks and complications of surgery and anesthesia. Please discontinue use of these products 2 weeks prior to surgery and for 2 weeks after surgery to diminish these risks.
- Aspirin (Excedrin and arthritis pain formula-all varieties contain aspirin in them)
- Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus)-has anti platelet activity, will increase bleeding and bruising
- Cayenne (capsicum annuum)- temperature regulation may deteriorate.
- Dong Quai (angelica sinesnis)-may increase bruising and bleeding
- Echinacea (Echinacea august folia)- decreases effectiveness of liver enzyme used to degrade anesthetics. Can prolong arousal from anesthesia
- Feverfew (tanacetum parthenium)- may increase bleeding and bruising
- Fish Oil- may increase bleeding
- Garlic (allim sativum)- may increase bleeding and bruising
- Ginger (zingiber officinate)- may increase bleeding and bruising
- Ginkgo Biloba (ginkgo biloba)- one of the strongest anticoagulants, will increase bleeding and bruising.
- Ginseng (panaz ginseng/panax quinquefolium)-may increase bleeding and bruising
- Hawthorne (cratagus laevitata)-interacts with heart medications
- Kava Kava (piper Methysticum) may delay arousal from anesthetic
- Licorice Root (clycyrrhiza glabra)-may increase blood pressure and electrolyte disturbances.
- Ma Huang (ephedra sinica)-increases arrhythmias, high blood pressure and death.
- Melatonin-may delay arousal from anesthetics.
- Red Clover (trifolium pretense)-may increase bleeding and bruising.
- St. John’s Wort (hypericum perforatum)-multiple adverse drug reactions.
- Valerian (valeriana afficinalis)-decreases effectiveness of anesthetics and pain medications.
- Vitamin E-may increase bleeding and bruising
- Yohimbe (corynanthe yohimbe)-may prolong arousal from anesthesia
Please ask your physician prior to beginning supplementation after surgery. Each patient may heal differently and treatment should be individualized in the post-operative period.
Thank you for you for your attention to this very important matter. Each of us has to the mutual goal of the best surgical outcome, and with your attention and compliance with the suggested treatment you may increase odds of an exceptional recovery and final result.